TL5 March, 03

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 03:55:56 +0100 (MET)

TL5 2000.03.03
==============

The main disandvantage are changed datestamps of the files :-(

/catalog/    please remove it
/emacs-20.6/  something new. Do we have it on the final TL?
/man/man1/   cont-de, cont-en, cont-nl links to pdftex? Now I understand
             why Fabrice has html files ;-) Missleading.
/systems/macintosh/  empty; do we have stuff for Mac? Look at the main,
             introductory readme.html

---- /support tree
What about ghostscript? If we will have 5.50, please reinsert
/support/ghostscript/gs550dos.zip from TL4, OK?

/support/ps_conv/  remove (we have already newer ps_conv.zip)

It can be added to the /support tree from dante:
/support/ps2eps/    free
/support/pstoedit/  GPL

For Win people, perhaps the actual info-zip stuff:
CTAN://tools/info-zip/WIN32/unz540xN.exe
                            wiz500xN.exe
                            zip23xN.exe
can be also added to /support/

------------
Please consider adding to texmf/doc/
CTAN://info/webguide/
            TrueType/
            FirstSteps/

-----------------
texmf/doc/html/tex4ht/  should be updated
texmf/doc/tetex/        should be updated
-----------------
texmf/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cs/ only installed during `Recommended' install?

----------------
Installation on Linux
=====================
..... (VARTEXMF  not set)
Setting VARTEXMF in texmf.cnf... Done unsetting vartexmf.
..... the last message
   texconfig init
to initialize your system and create local copies of
format files. The log of this will be placed in
/usr/TeX/texconfig.log

As expected, running `texconfig init' does the same work already done
by install-cd.sh. Again we have:

install_link failed for /usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux/hugetex. File already exists.
install_link failed for /usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux/hugelatex. File already exists.
install_link failed for /usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux/texinfo. File already exists.
-------------
Even when Omega was not installed:

install_link failed for /usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux/lambda. File already exists.

------------
texconfig run
=============
selecting e.g. spanish instead of german and french hyphenation,
something wrong with jadetex/jadepdftex:

Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
(babel)                the language `German'
(babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead.

) (/usr/TeX/texmf/tex/generic/babel/frenchb.ldf

Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
(babel)                the language `French'
(babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead.

WARNING: Elsevier font setup not found
WARNING: mmasym package not loaded. some symbols will fail

------------

What to do? Perhaps it would be wise to include `Needed formats'
into install script? And then decide not to install/generate more then
20 MB of formats everytime when texconfig run. It would be tedious for
somebody in New Zeeland to generate again and again e.g. Polish
or cont-nl formats ;-)

Since install-cd.sh do not inform the user what is in real in every
level/package we need some abreviated list for each level in
the documentation or on the CD.

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl