Fixing TeX_Live n post facto

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:28:47 +0100 (BST)

Nelson H. F. Beebe writes:
 > This suggests that it could be helpful to maintain at TeX archive
 > sites (CTAN, plus {ftp,www}.tug.org, plus other TeX User Group sites)
 > a mirrored tree that contains updates to each official TeX_Live-n CD.
 > These should not be
 > 	updates-because-we-have-a-new-improved-version,
 > but only
 > 	updates-because-the-CD-ROM-file-really-does-have-an-installation-problem.
 >
 > Are there plans to do something like this?  Such a tree would be quite
 > small, and easily downloaded via FTP, HTTP, or encoded in an email
 > message.

well, we do have the bugs page, which has links to files which have
vital changes.  that would easily be also on CTAN.

the real problem, to my mind, is explaining to people *how* to patch
their setups. replacing a duff mpost.exe with a correct one is OK, but
saying "this file that was in texmf/source was really needed in
texmf/tex" is harder

my priority is to get the bugs page right, of course; lets see how
full that gets over the next 6 months.

sebastian