fptex0.4a3

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:52:18 +0100 (MET)

> Dvips.dvi is the dvi manpage for dvips.1 (am I wrong ?)
No, it's documentatiom from the TeX file, should go to texmf/doc/dvips/.
Since we have afm2tfm.html, doc/manpages/afm2tfm.dvi can be removed.
Just for cleaning up the tree. ;-)

> c:/Program Files/TeX
> (maybe we should stick to c:/TeX ?)
c:/TeX would be better as default, I think.
 And many users will install
on the another disk.

> TEXMFCNF=%TEXLIVE%/texmf.local
We have still problems with variables TEXMFCNF and VARTEXMF
(as seen from the point of view of BLU and documenting it)
If you like, it should be TEXMFCNF=%TEXLIVE%/texmf.local/web2c
or (better) VARTEXMF=%TEXLIVE%/texmf.local

> Copy (maybe edit) various configuration files : dvips/config/config.ps,
> pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg, tex4ht configuration file to $TEXMFLOCAL
Certainly yes.
 And also texmf.cnf. But please be carefully $TEXMFLOCAL
or $VARTEXMF?

> My goal is that anything in $TEXMFMAIN can be removed/updated from
> scratch without loosing the user configuration.
Great.

> Any other suggestion welcome.
What about windvi.cnf? Where it will be placed/searched?
Since I have HOME, the actual windvi uses it. But most win9x users
ignore it. By the way, windvi
works quite fine with GS 6.0. Thanks.

I found that some of binaries (as well as docs) are missing in
fptex-0.4alpha3, e.g. tex4ht

look at the doc/html/manpages/cont-en.html
                              cont-de.html
                              cont-nl.html
All are pdftex, pdflatex manpages.
 ;-)