task list for manufacturing and distributing TeX Live

Peter Flynn pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:45:28 +0100 (BST)

> I can change it if people agree too. The (undocumented) scheme I
> intend is :
>
> c:\Local\bin
>         \gstools
>         \perl
>         \TeX

No, I don't have a problem with the concept, just I didn't expect it
to change from the previous C:\TeX (my problem for not following the
discussion more closely). The problem is really only small: the use of
C:\Local is not an established MS-Win practice and just leaves us
exposed to yet more criticism of TeX being non-standard.

I think it's too late to change now anyway; so long as I can document
it, it's OK.

> I could have put TeX in "c:\Program Files\", but TeX and many friends
> are not exactly windows applications. Even if tex.exe can deal with
> spaces in directories names, I'm a bit afraid ofo people trying (or
> forgetting) to quote arguments on the command line.

Yes, this is a problem. How does MikTeX solve it?

> > Is TeX Live going to change the default installation directory every
> > version?
>
> What was the previous one ?

c:\TeX.

///Peter