texlive install

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:41:54 +0100 (BST)

Dave Pawson writes:

 > I'd love to see \tex go mainstream.
 > Unfortunately that means the bells and whistles,
 > and that does take work, unfortunately.

true.

have you seen a slick commercial TeX like the Mac Textures? it can be
done.

 > One more for TL6. For other idiots. A 'samples' directory,
 > perhaps simply to either provide a taster for what it can do,
 > or just to test the install worked?
 > I sure as hell can't test it as a working system.

latex sample2e
dvips sample2e -o
windvi sample2e
pdflatex sample2e

but i take the point. a better samples directory

 > btw, the 4tex 'front end' / gui I am so taken with it,
 > I was very reluctant to 'move over' (i.e. lose it)
 > since its been so reliable.

you do not have to stop using it. one of the many many things that
need documenting

 > Remember that book I reviewed? I loaded the
 > tex in, selected pdf output, fired it off and it
 > worked. Sorry Sebastian, I just want to use it,
 > not dig deep into it.

a perfectly reasonable aim; it can be achieved, if people put the work
into the interface. sadly, most of us are too close to TeX...

sebastian