tex live status

Karl Berry tex-live@tug.org
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 19:44:54 -0500 (EST)

    Deutsch required that....

I don't think he can, legally.  But that's ok, no need to buck it.

    I would prefer that they did not do so, primarily because
    they may then change bits of it, but leave our name on it.

Oh, well, they definitely shouldn't do that.  I'll put in words to that
effect.

    or do you mean an actual ISO image?

Yes, that's what I mean.

    in that case, if someone grabbed
    it and made CDs for sale, what could we do to stop them?

Well, they can't do that legally because of all no-commercial-use
packages.

Aside from that, we (you) can certainly say if you wish `do not put an
image of the CD up for ftp'.  You put the thing together, you get to
impose conditions on it.

(Personally, I'd prefer to simply remain mute on the subject, but you
had some concern about it before, so I thought I'd mention it as a
possibility.)

     > - I'm not sure if we should mention the catalogue?
    please do. i really really want to stress that people should look at it

Ok, good.  I assume it will be on the CD, can you tell me where it will
be?  And I'll mention the URL, too, of course.

Revised LICENSE.TL4 file:

Copying conditions for TeX Live 4

You may copy, modify, or redistribute software from this CD only if you
comply with the requirements placed thereon by the owners of the
respective software packages.  To learn these requirements, please first
check Graham Williams' TeX Catalogue at:
ftp://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/catalogue.html
(also included on this CD at ./somewhere, but of course the online
version will have updates)

For packages not included there, or for full details, you must read the
conditions for each individual package you wish to copy, modify, or
redistribute.

If you plan on redistributing the entire CD contents (as in making your
own copies of the CD), you must not do so for profit, as many of the
packages here forbid that.  You are allowed to charge only a (very)
nominal fee, enough to recover your administrative and media costs, no
more.  And it is vastly preferable to not charge at all, but simply make
the CD a benefit of membership in your organization (or the equivalent,
such as for university departments).

If you make any changes to any package or the CD, of course you should
prominently mention such changes in any distribution so that people do
not take your work for yours, and know to contact you, not us, in case
of questions or problems.

*

We hope these conditions will be relaxed in future editions of TeX Live.
If you are a package author, you can help with this by ensuring your
copying conditions meet certain guidelines.  The Debian Free Software
Guidelines are the most coherent statement of these we have read; please
see http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines.  Also, whatever
your copying conditions are, please get your package into the TeX
Catalogue above.

It is usually best to use an existing license, such as the LaTeX Project
Public License, the GNU Public License, the GNU Library Public License,
the X Window System license, etc.  Please see
http://www.debian.org/intro/free for more discussion of this.

*

If you have any questions or comments, we urge you to contact us by
email at tex-live@tug.org.  We also maintain web pages about TeX live at
http://tug.org/texlive/.

Thanks for your interest in TeX.

- Sebastian Rahtz, editor, for the TeX Live team