[tex-k] Brace expansion question

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Oct 24 01:25:05 CEST 2017

Hi Doug,

    This web page for bash says expansion should proceed
    left to right:

And the documentation for Kpathsea says its expansion is right to left :) --
  http://tug.org/texinfohtml/kpathsea.html#Brace-expansion
(fourth paragraph)

    Does this represent an incompatibility worthy of understanding/fixing?

I don't remember if I intentionally implemented right-to-left brace
expansion, or if it was just happenstance and I didn't know I was doing
it, or if it's something that one of my successor developers changed
(intentionally or unintentionally).

    Does it matter that kpathsea is doing things differently?

Apparently not, since it's been this way since day one and it's never
been a problem.

    Presumably, kpathsea can't change, because this could affect the
    order of path

Right.

Happy hacking,
Karl