[tex-k] Problem with "mf" online display in GNOME

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu May 25 01:38:05 CEST 2017

    without having online display functionality.  What would be the
    mechanism to get the output from the computer?

Run gftodvi for proof sheets (more or less as in volume E), or typeset
with the font for samples.  E.g., testfont.tex.

    Are those alternative implementations, or they are just different elements
    of one implementation?

Alternatives.

    sleep a bit

Sleeping does not sound like the right thing to do, in principle.
Evidently handling Expose events simply has to be handled.
I await patches :).

      ../configure --disable-all-pkgs --enable-shared
      --with-system-kpathsea --disable-native-texlive-build
    But "make" does not compile anything after these steps.

Sure, since you disabled everything. Try adding --enable-web2c.

BTW, I doubt you want --enable-shared for debugging. At least, I don't
recommend it.

If you're going to build from sources, see also the tlbuild
document. Not everything is explained perfectly there, or in configure
--help, or anywhere, but it's what peb and I and others have written
over the years.  --good luck, karl.