[tex-k] kpsewhich brace expansion question

Douglas McKenna doug at mathemaesthetics.com
Tue Dec 12 01:06:23 CET 2017

All -

What is the proper response of kpsewhich for the following invocation:

   kpsewhich -expand-braces=file{1,2,3,4}{.tex,.pdf}

I would have thought it would be a single string containing

   file1.tex:file2.tex:file3.tex:file4.tex:file1.pdf:file2.pdf:file3.pdf:file4.pdf

or similar, but I'm getting just a simple

   file4.pdf

as the answer, which is the final element of what I expected.

   kpsewhich -all -expand-braces=file{1,2,3,4}{.tex,.pdf}

doesn't change anything, which I think makes sense, since the -all option doesn't apply to expansion tests.

I'm using the 2014 version of kpsewhich on an older Mac OS system.  Is this a bug that was fixed later?

If not a bug, then I guess there's something I don't understand about brace expansion or kpsewhich or both.

TIA,

Doug McKenna