[tex-k] [SPAM?] Reproducible builds using pdftex

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed May 4 14:54:59 CEST 2016

Jonathan, hello.

On 4 May 2016, at 13:21, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> In a context where SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH is used, "date" can easily
> generate the numbers needed:
>
>     pdflatex `date -r ${SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH} "+\\year=%Y \\month=%m
> \\day=%d"` \\input mydoc

Cunning, cunning...

> Overriding additional timestamps in metadata produced by pdftex,
> dvips, dvipdfmx, etc is a different matter, but that's a distinct
> issue that doesn't involve TeX primitives; it's about pdftex
> extensions or separate driver programs.

If I'm following this thread correctly, then I think this latter point
is the original motivation, and the question is whether or not this
functionality should or should not be extended to so that the change of
date also applies to the 'current date' as expressed in the \year,
\month, \day and presumably \time primitives.

To be clear: I dispute the claim that defining SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH to
change \today would constitute 'changes to the behavior of TeX
primitives' (with its associated documentation burden).  The TeXBook
doesn't specify what 'the current date' means, and while this of course
has a natural meaning of 'now, according to the clock', the text is not
inconsistent with an interpretation along the lines of 'now, according
to the environment'.

It would be necessary to emphasise this behaviour in the documentation
of SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH, but nowhere else.  Perhaps something like:

SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH=xxx : set the effective date for pdftex, as manifested
in the values of CreationDate, ModDate, and others, in the PDF file.
Note that this value also constitutes the 'current date' for TeX, and
thus the derived values of the \year, \month, \day, and \time
primitives, and the \today macro.

Best wishes,

Norman

--