[tex-k] Speed of kpsewhich when querying the repertories of the TeX installation

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Fri May 1 10:28:04 CEST 2015

Le 01/05/2015 09:10, Norbert Preining a écrit :
>> >There must be at least one initial hard-coded path no? I can't
>> >relocate kpsewhich anywhere on my system or can I ?
> You can relocate, check the installation of TeX Live, you can
> choose whereever you want.

By initial hard-coded path I meant "relative path". Sorry for
my possibly imprecise language.

I was under the impression that kpsewhich location had
to be in $TEXMFDIST/../bin/<hardwarespec>/
but I admit I had not checked that.

Thus I was well aware the whole thing is relocatable, which
made me think there must be a way that kpsewhich had via
hard-coded *relative* paths to fetch at least *one* initial
texmf.cnf

But, I did not think possible to move kpsewhich to /usr/bin/
for example while leaving the other things in the main
TeXLive tree.

> kpsewhich searches for the initial texmf.cnf in a (long) list
> of defined locations, that allows for relocation, plus some
> fixed locations.

Sort of what I expected.

Jean-François