[tex-k] Speed of kpsewhich when querying the repertories of the TeX installation

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Fri May 1 10:01:28 CEST 2015

Le 01/05/2015 09:38, jfbu a écrit :
>> With 9 calls to kpsewhich, on my (comparatively quite fast, with
>> SSD) MBA with Mavericks and TeXLive 2014, this meant a 5 seconds
>> wait when first launching AUCTeX 11.88
>
> End after that? 0 .. right. Aehmmm, well.

what do you mean? "first launching AUCTeX" may have been confusing,
it meant "first launch in each Emacs session, i.e. on first C-xC-f
a foo.tex file"

If you have auctex 11.86 installed in a site-start repertory it
well be presumably launched during the Emacs launch itself.
Then there is no delay in opening a .tex file.

However, if you install AUCTeX 11.88 via ELPA, and don't do
anything else to load it, it is only partially loaded via the
package-initialize mechanism, and the bulk of laoding it,
even byte-compiled, is on opening for the first time a .tex file

Thus, for me since november 2014, this meant 5 seconds wait
each time.

And I understood only yesterday this was entirely due to the
kpsewhich calls.

Jean-François