[tex-k] How to expand kpathsea list of file types?

stefano franchi stefano.franchi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 00:17:21 CET 2014

Dear all,

I'd like to add biblatex style files (i.e. *.cbx and *.bbx) to the list of
file types recognized to kpathsea. I looked at the texmf.cnf configuration
file and found the following definitions for bibtex:

% BibTeX bibliographies and style files.  bibtex8 also uses these.
BIBINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/bibtex/bib//
BSTINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/bibtex/{bst,csf}//

So I thought adding similar definitions for Biblatex (in the system-wide
tree, not the distribution texmf.cnf) would work:

% BibLaTeX citation (cbx) and reference (bbx) style files.
CBXINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/tex/latex/{cbx}//
BBXINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/tex/latex/{bbx}//

But it does not. What else do I need to do? Define/add  CBXINPUTS and
BBBXINPUTS somewhere, perhaps?

Thanks for the help.

Stefano

P. S. Why do I want to do this: I am working on adding biblatex support to
LyX. We rely on kpsewhich to obtain lists of all the various kinds of
files LaTeX needs (cls, sty, bst, etc). The lists are then used at various
points in the program (to populate widgets, to compile docs, and so on). I
would like to simply extend the standard kpsewhich interface to biblatex
files, if possible rather than working on an ad hoc solution.

Stefano Franchi

stefano.franchi at gmail.com <stefano at tamu.edu>
http://stefano.cleinias.org