[tex-k] a question about tlmgr on Windows

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Apr 23 09:54:01 CEST 2013

Hi Andrew,

On Mo, 22 Apr 2013, Andrew Komornicki wrote:
> I have a question and a problem relating to tlmgr.

THis is not the right forum for tlmgr ...

>           perl.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
>           We are sorry for the inconvenience.

That is something which is hard to debug, if perl does not work,
something in your Windows installation is broken. We cannot conjure
up solutions for elementary things like broken perls.

You can try to debug perl as installed in
	...path..to..your..texlive..\tlpkg\tlperl
specifically bin tlperl\bin\perl.exe

But you might have some background tasks (virus scanner? intrusion detection)
whatever running that kills the perl process, which creates the problem.

ANother option, but needs a bit more experience, is:
* get the latest tlperl.win32.tar.xz, best from the tlpretest
* backup your current tlpkg\tlperl
* unpack it in ...\texlive\ (it contains the files in he hierarchy tlpkg\tlperl)

and hope that this gives you a better/working perl.

More than that, I guess, we cannot do.

Norbert