[tex-k] xdvik problem with automatic pk generation

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sun Sep 30 22:12:52 CEST 2012

Hi Karl and Paul,

mysteries of the internet made me receive Paul's reply a bit
before Karl's...

It seems from my examples that when xdvik
can't use t1lib because a .pfb is too big, it picks the
bitmaps from a generated pk file (already existing or created on
its command on the fly), but this process works only for the first
problematic font encountered.

by the way
I wasn't at all aware of this t1lib capability until the other day,
and I was so used to .pk files that I desperately looked all over
my hard disk to find them, wondering why only the txfontsb font
FreeSerifb.pfb (the one for which I had become aware of the problem)
had given rise to .pk fonts in my ~/Library/texlive/... folder

I was starting to curse Apple for making invisible some more directories
to the innocent user, but I slowly realized that pk's were a things of
the past!

all my previous dvi's had been opened indeed under the t1lib regime
with xdvi, instantaneously, during all this time I had (unconsciously)
thought that the pk's were on my system pre-generated

My congratulations to everyone involved in this t1lib,
it works instantaneously on my (brand new) mac!

Sincerely,

Jean-François