[tex-k] disappearing inserts

David Guichard guichard at skink.whitman.edu
Wed Mar 21 22:41:13 CET 2012

Hi--

Some midinserts are disappearing into the ether on me, using texlive
2009-13 on ubuntu 11.10. The same code works perfectly on my 10.04
machine with 2009-7. I haven't looked at very many examples, but it
possibly happens when the insert won't fit on the current page and
should migrate to the next page--at least on the first one I noticed
this is the case.

I turned on tracingall, and the insert appears to be processed, though
I haven't tried to parse everything. In particular there seems to be a
trace of the figure number being written to the aux file, but it
doesn't actually show up there and TeX complains about an undefined
reference.

I'm using plain tex with a variety of macro packages, but again,
pretty much everything is the same on both machines, other than
texlive files which may have changed.

I realized this isn't enough to diagnose the problem, but has anyone
had anything similar happen?

Thanks,
David