[tex-k] How Does One Create pk Files From A PostScript Font? -- solved

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Sat Jun 9 00:16:43 CEST 2012

Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Reinhard Kotucha would write on Thu Jun  7 19:27:09 2012:

> Trying to create .pk fonts is a step into the wrong direction, IMO.
> It makes more sense to create a Type 1 font instead.  In order to find
> out the best approach, I need more details about your font.  Are there
> outlines already or are glyphs described with arbitrary PostScript code?

The glyphs are described with PostScript code.  The only PostScript
drawing operators used are lineto, rlineto, curveto, and rcurveto,
except for the very end, where there is either a fill or a stroke,
depending on the value of /PaintType, which is extracted and consulted
(thus, regardless of whether you set /PaintType to 0 or 1, you are
telling the truth).

As Paul Vojta suggested in a subsequent reply, the command of which I
needed to be made aware was gsftopk.  The command

  gsftopk --mapline='OldJaffa OldJaffa  <OldJaffa.ps' OldJaffa 600

produced OldJaffa.600pk and, mutatis mutandis, all the other pk files
I needed.  After that all I had to do was move the pk files to the
appropriate directory, move the tfm file (which I already had) to the
appropriate directory, and run mktexlsr.  Many thanks to this mailing
list for giving me the information I needed.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784   landline
				(1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
				jay at m5.chicago.il.us
				http://m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"