[tex-k] TeX Sources

Tom Rokicki rokicki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 08:22:18 CEST 2011

I think this is all reasonably resolved.

Jay's TeX sources appear to be (somehow) a combination from
different releases, so the web2c defines files are not consistent
with the change files he is using.  But . . .

The real problem was the macros he was using were
peppered with unnecessary "\outer"s.  Apparently an earlier
version of TeX he was using had disabled the error message
that "\outers" generate, so the "\outers" were not causing
problems, but the newer TeX he is using properly errors out
on those "\outers" and hence really the source of all the
difficulty.

I have recommended he stick with a fully stock TeXLive if
he wants to build from scratch, and I believe with the
removal of the unnecessary "\outers" from his macros,
things are now properly working for him.

Jay, if I've misrepresented anything, please correct me.
Otherwise, I believe this issue has reached a satisfactory
conclusion.

-tom