[tex-k] Updmap-sys does not leave out MAP file fragments in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap-local.cfg

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Tue Jun 14 22:22:26 CEST 2011

Am 14.06.2011 um 20:58 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:

> If one wants to disable outline fonts, the best solution is to
> uninstall them.

TeX Live has become a package managed system. This means that you
can't easily remove some (font) package. If it's a font package that
you remove, then the "text" package that uses it, depends on it and
does allow its removal. Then you would also need to remove the doc and
the "text" package, but some scheme or whatever depends on it.

No. The way the TeX Live packages are organised and made dependent is
obviously optimised for the package packers, not for the strange
users, of which I am one. (I have practical experience, I tried that,
maybe in 2008.)

> Simply removing map entries leads to a broken
> installation.

IMO the installation becomes broken when you forcibly remove some
package. Proof: tlmgr complains!

I am not interested in Vietnamese, Chinese, this or that, "quasi"
fonts for example. I just wanted to make updmap's life easy (and its
running time minimal). So I disable some fonts via their MAP file
fragments. And I am doing this with /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
web2c/updmap-local.cfg because in TeX Live 2010 it worked fine (and
particularly very fast, not needing to invoke 'updmap-sys --disable
<some MAP file fragment>' 50 times manually or with a lengthy shell
script; and every year), and I think automatically.

What else is the purpose of this file? (Making local MAP file
fragments for locally installed fonts known.) Setting the options for
the 35 LaserWriter fonts and for downloading or not the 14 PDF fonts?
Setting this does not really work well, because tlmgr now (?) does not
generate the "localised" files, at least not automatically, and when
needed, i.e., when updmap-local.cfg is younger then the updmap.cfg
files updmap works with.

Regarding the syntax used in updmap-local.cfg: last year (or earlier?)
the documentation did not give exact hints.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Es ist in Chicago verboten, dort zu essen, wo es gerade brennt.