[tex-k] Non-fatal warning in xdvik

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 16:21:33 CEST 2011

*Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct*

xdvik version 22.84.16 (Xaw toolkit)
Libraries: kpathsea version 3.5.7, T1lib version 5.0.1

Why does xdvik use a grimly proprietary Linotype font here?  Can
anything be done with a fonts.alias entry somewhere to avoid this
annoyance?

Be assured that, otherwise, I am very fond of xdvik, which improves my
typesetting life immensely.  The non-persistent magnifier sub-window is
way better than any of the more clumsy features I have encountered, and
its edge can be used to check vertical (or even horizontal) alignment
when you want to see whether you can safely use \hfuzz to gloss over a
slightly (very slightly) over-length line.

Pierre MacKay