[tex-k] dvips on debian linux

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Apr 22 19:22:33 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-22 at 09:22:52 -0500, S Nedunuri wrote:

 > Well, yes, I did. But I also got 3 other replies, all pretty much
 > saying something different! I didn't set up the linux version - it
 > was already set up by the admin.

Either you have a TeX Live older than 12 years, or teTeX (unmaintained
for 5 years), or your admin has changed the default.

 > In this case at least I'm actually happy with the Windows version.

Yes, it's easier to buy a new car rather than to clean the old one.

 > IMHO, the most obvious expectation of "dvips" is that converts a
 > dvi file to a ps file, not silently send its output to the nearest
 > printer.

It doesn't help to repeat it again and again.  In TeX Live, dvips
prints to a file for at least 12 years.  Since teTeX is unmaintained,
there is nothing anymore which can be changed.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25