[tex-k] Question about TeXlive install on Windows

Andrew Komornicki komornic at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 2 06:06:35 CET 2010

Colleagues,

This is a question about the TeXlive installation.

Back in Sept 2008 I installed TeXlive 2008 on my new Windows XP laptop. All
went well, I did some minor changes to the installation and have used this
ever since.

 I recently thought to check on possible updates to my system, so I invoked
the install script from the program menu.  This script stopped with the
message that I could not reach one of the mirror sites.  After repeated
attempts, I decided to download the (new) 2009 install zip file.  This one
appears to work, but it also wants to provide a brand new TeXlive installation.

 Can anyone educate me as to how this system works??  I am very happy with
the installation that I have, and do not want to start all over.  All that
I was looking for was a simple update/upgrade to my system.

 Is my understanding correct that the install-tl.bat script from 2008 no
longer works?

thank you for your help.
regards,
andrew