[tex-k] libpoppler support in TeX Live source tree

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 18 13:19:27 CET 2009

On 18 Mar 2009, at 11:41, Norbert Preining wrote:

>> (4) In case you think of a complete switch, you have to give
>> support to have
>> libpoppler built on all systems currently supported by TL.
>
> No, complete switch is not a good idea for now because some project
> itself do not want to switch.
>
> It concerns pdftex, luatex, xetex: And I have no idea whether JK and
> HTH
> want to switch themselves to poppler.

I have no strong opinion about the switch itself; but I do have a
concern about build support and dependencies. E.g., I don't want to
pull in fontconfig as a dependency of poppler on all platforms, which
tends to happen by default.

For distros that are building and packaging their own binaries, using
system poppler rather than in-tree xpdf makes a lot of sense. For
standalone TL binaries, I'm not sure it's worth the effort of bringing
poppler into the TL tree and ensuring it will configure and build
properly in all cases.

JK