[tex-k] crippled TeX package

Andrew Komornicki komornic at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 21 09:06:19 CEST 2009

Karl and friends,

this is regarding the recent post by Pierre.

I have just checked several of my systems.
Several months ago, I installed TeXlive2008 on a new laptop that runs
Windows XP.  while the installation went quite well, and I am happy with
all of the features, there is NO initex installed that I can find.
This is TeXlive2008.

More recently, I installed Fedora Linux on an older machine. The installation
indicates that this is TeXlive2007.  From what I can tell both Fedora 9 and
Fedora 10 provide TexLive2007.  Again all inquiries show that there is NO
initex available.

This was installed from the installation RPM's that Fedora provides.  I was
also surprised to find that while the Windows TeXlive did provide a tlmgr
utility (rather useful) the Fedora distribution did not have such a utility.
All that I could find was the old utilities that are from the Thomas Esser
teTeX distributions. (thank you Thomas !!)

This is just my 2cents worth.  I still have an installation
(thank you Fabrice) circa 1999-2000.
This one does have initex (on Windows )

regards,
andrew