[tex-k] kpathsea distribution

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu Aug 13 22:37:21 CEST 2009

Greetings.

Is there an official source repository, or distribution location, for
kpathsea as a library, rather than as a component of TeX and friends?

Googling for "kpathsea", one of the first hits leads me to <http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/dviware/tkdvi/
 >, which looks like it contains _a_ distribution, but is probably out
of date at least.

The section <http://www.tug.org/texinfohtml/kpathsea.html#Kpathsea-application-distributions
 > looks more plausible, but refers to <ftp://ftp.tug.org/tex/texk.tar.gz
 > which "contains all of the Kpathsea applications I maintain, and
the library itself".  However that's more than I want, plus the link
is dead.

If I look around on that server, I find a plausible-looking /texlive/
web2c directory, but that just contains a number of config files.

It's at this point I think I may be barking up the wrong tree.

My motivation here is to include instructions for getting the kpathsea
library in build documentation for an application I maintain,
dvi2bitmap (not very diligently, I'm afraid, but I'm preening it now
and trying to refresh the build instructions).  In there, I mention
that if you want kpathsea you need to get the whole web2c
distribution, delete a directory, ignore the resulting warnings,
and ... oh dear, someone would have to be _very_ keen to work their
way through that.

I recall that the library is included in some TeX distributions, but
it's not obviously present in TeXLive, when obtained via MacTeX.

Thanks for any advice.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester, UK