[tex-k] exit code and --interaction

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Sat Nov 1 00:28:37 CET 2008

On 31 Oct 2008, at 23:07, Karl Berry wrote:

>    You can't pipe complete documents into TeX when using batchmode;
>
> I'm surprised.  Have you ever looked into it?

I don't think it's surprising, given how TeX operates. Piping to stdin
is a way of providing text to the "terminal input" in TeX. But in
\batchmode, it doesn't read from the terminal, it just processes the
given filename or "first line" from the command-line; if it doesn't
reach an \end, it halts with an error rather than attempting to read
from term_in.

JK