[tex-k] max grouping levels exceeded

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Dec 28 12:33:04 CET 2007

Dear TeX(-k) gurus,

on Debian we got the following bug report:

On Fr, 28 Dez 2007, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [grouping levels=255].
> <to be read again>
>                    {
> l.55804 {101503}}
>                  \endNode{}\endSeq{}\endLink{}\endPar{}\Seq%
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

with the question ...

> There does not seem to be a parameter to control the grouping levels, however.
> So, is there one that is not obviously named, or would it at least be possible
> to rebuild the whole thing with a higher default?  Or what is one supposed to

My ridiculously small knowledge of TeX intestines makes me thinking that
it might not be possible as all. Can anyone expand on that?

Best wishes

Norbert

CURRY MALLET (n.)
A large wooden or rubber cub which poachers use to despatch cats or
other game which they can only sell to Indian resturants. For
particulary small cats the price obtainable is not worth the cost of
expending ammunition.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff