[tex-k] landscape/seascape

Dan Gildea gildea at cs.rochester.edu
Tue Nov 21 23:16:15 CET 2006

On Sun, November 19, 2006 at  5:13PM, Karl Berry wrote:
>     It has always bothered me that when I make slides using the
>     seminar package, they show up upside down in gv.
>
> Is it just seminar?

It seems to affect other packages with a landscape option -
for example I get the same upside-down behavior with the
plain article class:

  \documentclass[landscape,twocolumn,letterpaper]{article}

  \title{A Sample Document}
  \author{}

  \begin{document}
  \maketitle
  Filler filler filler filler filler filler filler.
  \end{document}

or the geometry package:

  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage[landscape]{geometry}

  \title{A Sample Document}
  \author{}

  \begin{document}
  \maketitle
  Filler filler filler filler filler filler filler.
  \end{document}

or the "foils" package for making slides:

  \documentclass[landscape]{foils}

  \begin{document}
  \foilhead{slide}
  test

  \end{document}

Unlike seminar these all require calling dvips with the
option "-t landscape" to get the right paper size (but it
still comes out upside down).

The following is from an old version of Rokicki's dvips manual:

  The dvips default landscape configuration is presently
  as though the paper were rotated ninety degrees
  counterclockwise; this seems to be the convention
  adopted by previewers that the author is familiar
  with. If for some reason you need your landscape
  orientation to be rotated clockwise, simply include at
  the top of your TEX file or in some included macro file

   \special{! /landplus90 true store}

  to set this orientation. Alternatively, you can change
  the default value of landplus90 in the tex.lpro file
  before compilation, or include a header file that just
  includes the definition /landplus90 true store.

I wonder what viewers he was using...

Dan