[tex-k] Latex

Angelyn V. Dilim angelyndilim at torstencalvi.com
Fri Oct 7 10:49:10 CEST 2005

Hi everybody I would like to ask for your help.

I am a newbie on TeX/teTeX. I have now installed teTex 2.0.1 and wanted to
use LaTeX. Below is the list of procedures I'd make

I am in a superuser/korn shell;

#latex

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.4)

**\documentclass{article}

kpathsea:Running mktexfmt latex.fmt

fmtutil: format 'latex' not available.

I can't find the format file 'latex.fmt'

True enough there is no latex.fmt.So I think I have to create generate
latex.fmt. From what I have read from a documentation initex is used to
create a format or (.fmt) files.

May I ask what is the syntax on how to generate this latex.fmt file?

I also tried to run the following command below;

#initex latex.ltx

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.4) INITEX

**latex.ltx

!I cant find the file 'latex.ltx'.

<*>latex.ltx

Please type another input file name :

But the following files are available below;

latex.ltx is located in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base

plain.mf is located in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/metafont/base

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Angelyn