[tex-k] dynamically loading \patterns

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Mar 3 21:40:47 CET 2005

  > Karl, You pose an interesting question.

  > Correct me if I am wrong, but essentially you are asking to change
  > Format properties without building a new Format. (??)

Additional pattern files will be loaded at run time.  The format files
will be as they are.

  > What would happen if a user were to insert the following line in
  > their document:

  >  \input plhyph.tex

  > effectively changing the hyphenation pattern from the default to
  > in this case Polish.

  > Is this even possible ?  Is this correct ?  Will TeX complain ?  I
  > have never tried it.

$ tex \\relax
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.4)

*\input plhyph.tex
(/usr/local/dtp/share/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyphen/plhyph.tex
! Patterns can be loaded only by INITEX.
l.90 \patterns
              {

Regards,
  Reinhard