[tex-k] Problems with "dvips -P config.foo" and thai fonts

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Tue Dec 20 13:14:01 CET 2005

Hi all,

Danai discovered that adding garuda.map and norasi.map via the
-Pconfig.PRINTER option of dvipsk fails.  I tested with lmodern, there
are no problems, so this seems to be somewhat specific.

$ cat /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/config.garuda
Map +garuda.map

Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) <danai.sae-han at skynet.be> wrote:

> More precisely, install the latex-cjk-thai (and latex-cjk) package.
> You will find /usr/share/doc/latex-cjk/examples/thai.tex, which needs
> to be compiled with an Emacs Lisp script.
>  You will find the result
> attached as "thai.cjk".  Run "latex thai.cjk" and a DVI file will be
> construed.  "dvips -Pnorasi -Pgaruda thai.dvi" will work without
> problems.
> Edit /etc/texmf/updmap.d/10latex-cjk-thai.cfg and comment garuda.map
> and norasi.map.
> Run update-updmap

For Karl and Werner: This is debian-specific and would be just "edit
updmap.cfg" in teTeX or TeXlive.

> and updmap-sys, and run "dvips -Pnorasi -Pgaruda
> thai.dvi" again. dvips will complain that it can't find the .pfb
> fonts.
>
> In effect, dvips tries to search for "ftnr8z" (e.a.), while I have
> clearly redirected it to "<norasi.pfb" (e.a.) in the .map files.
> Extract of norasi.map:
>   ftnr8z Norasi " C90Encoding ReEncodeFont " <c90.enc <norasi.pfb
>
> So dvips recognises the config.* files, but it looks for the name in
> the first argument, not the last argument.
> ftnr8z (e.a.) are used because the TFM files that CJK uses are
> incompatible with those that "thailatex" uses.

The syntax of the map file seems to be okay - and it should be, since if
the map file is referenced in updmap.cfg, everything is okay.

> Strange thing is that dvips botches when the map files are
> commented, but works when they are not commented.

Or in other words:  It works when dvips can read the lines from
psfonts.map, but not from garuda.map when this file is added from
config.garuda.

Can you help us out?

Regards, Frank
--