[tex-k] Plans about supporting TrueType/Type42 fonts in dvips?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Aug 28 18:59:28 CEST 2005

    are there any plans to enable dvips to include TrueType fonts in a
    Postscript file, by wrapping them up as Type42 fonts?

I am not aware of anything along these lines.  Tom?

If there is some TrueType+TeX volunteer interested in working on it,
patches would be welcome, I'm sure.  I also feel sure there are a lot of
subsidiary issues.  It would be good to be compatible with pdftex's
truetype support, if that makes sense.  (I'm not too familiar with what
pdftex can and can't do with truetype.)

Support for OpenType would probably be even more useful going forward.
Do you know if they be handled via Type42?  Or some other way?

Best,
Karl