[tex-k] About spaces in file names

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sat Apr 23 12:25:20 CEST 2005

Hello,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 05:26:55PM +0200, Olaf Weber wrote:

> In this case, the problem really is that |\includegraphics| doesn't
> know how to handle filenames with spaces (or quotes) in them: it will
> allways wite PSfile="<filename>" in the special.  If <filename>
> contains quotes, the PSfile special will be broken.  But if you want a
> space in that filename, then it will have to be quoted before handing
> it to TeX to read.  As far as I can tell, this is something that would
> have to be fixed in the implementation of |\includegraphics|.

Passing a file name with spaces to the \special command can
be done. I have already written a package (not yet released)
that allows this for pdfTeX, because the syntax of \pdfximage
allows this.

BUT 1: LaTeX's graphics package wants to check whether the
  graphics file is present. And it has to do this check, if
  the file name extension is not given and the graphics packages
  must look for the correct and present one.
    The check is done by \openin that doesn't allow spaces.
BUT 2: In the case of PostScript files the graphics packages
  reads them to get the BoundingBox. This fails again because
  of \openin.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>