[tex-k] \write writes out TeX's `^^' quartets instead of 8-bit chars

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 20 23:31:15 CEST 2004

Thomas Esser writes:

>> If it exists, you can add '-translate-file=cp8bit' to the command line
>> and should get the desired behaviour back (it will tell TeX to

> Hm... Olaf, either I am doing something wrong or you refer to a different
> version of web2c. We are talking about teTeX-2.0.2 which contains Web2C
> 7.4.5. In my test (see below) a character which is unprintable in the
> locale won't come out 1:1 even if I use cp8bit:

Hm.  Ouch.  This hasn't been the most stable part of the code, and I
may have misread what this particular version of the code did.  :-(

In which case a suitable LC_ALL (or LC_CTYPE) setting ought to resolve
the problem.  (Suitable meaning some version which defines isprint(C)
to be true for characters 128<=C<=255.  Many approach this.)  So I
fear some experimentation with both -translate-file and LC_ALL may be
in order.

--
Olaf Weber