[tex-k] Latex bug with eqnarray*

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sun Oct 19 12:05:17 CEST 2003

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 05:19:27PM -0600, Kevin S. Van Horn wrote:

> I have the following in a .tex file:
>
> \begin{eqnarray*}
>  p(\overline{x} \mid \mu, \sigma)
>  & \propto &
>  \sigma^{-1} \exp\left(-\frac{n}{2\sigma^2}(\overline{x}-\mu)^2\right) \\
>
>  2 + 2 & = & 4
> \end{eqnarray*}
>
> LaTex gives an error on the blank line following "\\", saying "Missing $
> inserted".  If I remove the blank line, everything is OK.

This is not a list for question in the use of LaTeX.
| tex-k -- Kpathsea, Web2c, Dviljk, Dvipsk, Xdvik
A better place for LaTeX questions is the newsgroup comp.text.tex,
for instance.

An empty line generates a paragraph. But inside a equation or
eqnarray, a paragraph does not make sense, so the error message
is correct. You have to delete the blank line or use the percent
sign to get an empty comment line.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>