[tex-k] A bug? Maybe just a terrible inconvenience to work around...

Olivia Jensen olivia@transsexy.geophys.mcgill.ca
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:42:58 -0400 (EDT)

I am running
$pdflatex -version
pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.13d
kpathsea version 3.3.1

I have spent a couple of hours trying to work around the seeming
impossibility of using \pdfannotlink to link to URLs in which the "~"
symbol appears (and probably 15% of webpages use this symbol in
addressing as it typically distinguishes user web directories on
multiuser systems).

I've found no way to solve the problem... Here's a code slice that
doesn't work:

\bigskip
\leftline{\pdfannotlink
    user{ /Subtype /Link
    /A <<
        /Type /Action
        /S /URI
        /URI
(http://travesti.geophys.mcgill.ca/~olivia/tp2002a/)
%(http://travesti.geophys.mcgill.ca/{\verb!~!}olivia/tp2002a/)
%(http://travesti.geophys.mcgill.ca/\~{}olivia/tp2002a/)

}  Click here to visit the course webpage\pdfendlink}

I don't know how to force the URL to contain the string: ~olivia

It would solve the problem of accessing many, many web pages if such
strings could be, somehow, included in the URL string....

Best regards,
			Olivia Jensen
    |          Life is performance art.  Enjoy my show!            |
     E-mail: Internet: olivia@transsexy.geophys.mcgill.ca
     Web service:      http://travesti.geophys.mcgill.ca/~olivia/
     Telephone:        514 398-3587 (office); 450 224-2721 (home)