[tex-k] [john@cs.york.ac.uk: web2c and detex(1)]

Karl Berry karl@freefriends.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:26:33 -0400

Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:34:45 +0100 (BST)
From: john@cs.york.ac.uk
To: Karl Berry <kb@mail.tug.org>
cc: John Murdie <john@cs.york.ac.uk>
Subject: web2c and detex(1)

[...]

I've long installed teTeX (based on web2c, of course) and sometimes
Sebastian Rahtz' TeXLive (based on teTeX!). I also add a few things of
local interest. I've been reminded by one of my users here that the
detex command I install for use with e.g. `detex | wc' or `detex |
ispell' (see http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/trinkle/detex/) is not built
with the kpathsea library, and therefore can't do recursive-descent
searches. To use detex, either all one's .tex files must be in the same
directory, or one must extend TEXINPUTS.

Is there any chance that you could get together with Daniel Trinkle (of
Purdue CS) to extend detex with kpathsea, and then persuade Thomas Esser
to include the result in teTeX?
--

John A. Murdie
Experimental Officer (Software)