[tex-k] [rhn-admin@rhn.redhat.com: RHN Errata Alert: Command execution vulnerability in dvips]

Nicolai Langfeldt janl@linpro.no
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:15:08 +0100

Sorry for being so late on this topic, my mailfilter somehow divertet
nearly all my tex-k mail to the spam heap which I'm sorting through now.

Stefan Ulrich wrote:

>(a) extensions in general functionality/GUI:
>    Pagelist, color special support, printing support.
>
>(b) VFlib support:
>
>    We have support for Type1 via t1lib, but not for full VFLib
>    (i.e. no TrueType support). There's a feature request for it
>    at:
>
>    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=443503&group_id=23164&atid=377583
>
>    but nobody is working on it at the moment.

I read through the VFLib patches a year or so ago.  To me they seemed a
bit confusing, but I expect that there is a lot about asian fonts and
asian-tex-font-naming conventions that I don't know a thing about that
explains that handily.  I contacted the authors to see if we could
cooperate and fold it in xdvik.  They said something about licensing and
getting permissions their contributors. Then I forgot about it and have
not followed up.

As Stefan knows I'm not very good about organizing myself to get time
for xdvik (or anything else for that matter), so a good, permanent
folding of these patches may most likely have to be left to someone
else.  If done right, and VFlib can be as fast as t1lib about t1
rendering VFlib should be all we need.

>(c) Japanese font support:
>
>    I don't really know what this involves, since all the
>    documentation seems to be in japanese (which I don't
>    read ;-)

 From the code I saw would say that there are a good number of gotchas
that we must rely on someone with good knowledge of japanese to sort
through.

Nicolai