[tex-k] [rhn-admin@rhn.redhat.com: RHN Errata Alert: Command execution vulnerability in dvips]

Karl Berry karl@freefriends.org
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:23:46 -0500

    it seems to me that the TeX community periodically should construct
    complete, medium-size, and small bundles of tex, latex, pdftex, fonts,

It was redhat's decision to distribute teTeX instead of the individual
components which make it up.  (I do not disagree with this decision.)

It is unfortunate there has been no tetex-stable release in a couple of
years, but that's how things go when it is all done by volunteers.
Thomas told me a while ago he hopes to make a new stable release within
a few months.

A new version of TeX Live is distributed once a year or more often.
I don't know if any redistributors pick this up instead of tetex.
(Or if they should.)

Overall, I don't think there is any magic cure-all ...