[tex-k] Problem using config.pdf with dvips

Karen Carter karenb@cc.gatech.edu
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:40:43 -0500 (EST)

Using latex and dvips from teTeX-1.0.7:

aurora39% latex --version
TeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159
kpathsea version 3.3.1
Copyright (C) 1999 D.E. Knuth.
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the TeX copyright and
the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and the TeX source.
Primary author of TeX: D.E. Knuth.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.

aurora39% dvips --version
dvips(k) 5.86
kpathsea version 3.3.1
Copyright (C) 1999 Radical Eye Software.
There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
under the terms of the GNU General Public License
and the Dvips copyright.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and dvips.h.
Primary author of Dvips: T. Rokicki; -k maintainer: K. Berry.

on a latex file which includes the package 'times':

    > latex <file>
    > dvips -P pdf <file>

produces a postscript file which has British pound symbols in place of the
normal text characters 'fi'.  I've found removing the config option 'G'
from config.pdf fixes the problem.

This problem is consistent across my Sparc Solaris 7, Redhat Linux 6.2
and Irix 6.5 machines.  The only configure options I used to compile the
software were '--prefix=/usr/local/teTeX-1.0.7' and '--disable-multiplatform'.
The latex file I'm using is the sample2e.tex file, I just simply added
the times package.

I have seen a few postings regarding this problem in comp.text.tex but
I don't see this listed as a known bug.  Are you aware of the problem?

--
Karen Carter (karenb@cc.gatech.edu)		Georgia Institute of Technology
Computing and Networking Services		Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0280