[pstricks] Scaling problem with xdvipdfmx

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon Dec 4 17:35:39 CET 2017

The following document shows increasing horizontal line lengths when
compiled with xelatex but not with latex+dvips.  The effect is small but
real.

(Sorry to depend on a non-CTAN package.)

The problem can be solved by redefining \pstnodescale which in
xdvipdfmx.cfg is defined as:

\def\pstverbscale{72.27 72 div dup scale }%
\def\pstnodescale{72 72.27 div dup scale }%

If I redefine \pstnodescale to be {1 1 div dup scale} things work.

I suspect this is the same problem as reported here:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/194683/2693 where Herbert gave a similar
(local) solution.

I have two questions:

Why are the definitions of \pstverbscale and \pstnodescale different in
the way they are?
Is my redefinition correct, and if so should xdvipdfmx be changed?

Thanks

Alan

% compiled with latex+dvips this works fine
% compiled with xelatex the horizontal lines become increasingly longer
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{OTtablx} % available here:
http://sanders.phonologist.org/OTtablx/index.html

%\def\pstnodescale{1 1 div dup scale } % uncommenting this line makes
the problem disappear

\begin{document}

\begin{OTtableau}{3}
\OTtoprow{AAA,BBB,CCC}
\OTcandrow{XXXXXXXXXX}{,,}
\OTcandrow{XXXXXXXXXX}{,,}
\OTcandrow{XXXXXXXXXX}{,,}
\OTcandrow{XXXXXXXXXX}{,,}
\OTcandrow{XXXXXXXXXX}{,,}
\OTcandrow{XXXXXXXXXX}{,,}
\end{OTtableau}

Alan Munnamunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824     Tel.  +1-517-355-7491