[pstricks] Font problem

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Fri Dec 27 20:39:22 CET 2013

On Dec 27, 2013, at 9:25 AM, erhardt at fh-offenburg.de wrote:

> Dear Herbert Voss,
>
> I apologize in advance because this is definitely the wrong mailing list for my problem.
>
> But I had contact with you (in 2008) about a pstricks problem and no further problems since then.
> (So, please just tell me the appropriate mailing list for my problem if you are not the correct person)
>
> Now I have a Postscript  Type I fonts problem: I am trying to install the Akkadian Cuneiform font as described in
> http://www-hep2.fzu.cz/~piska/cuneiform.html
> I downloaded the ZIP file from the line
> Akkadian fonts - Distribution in a TDS form (ZIP) version 001.002 - 20 July 2003
> on the mentioned site, it contains a minimum example ishtar.tex.
>
> texify.exe runs without errors, but when I try to run "dvips.exe" on the dvi file the required fonts are not found.
> The error message is:
> ' TeX output 2013.12.27:1748' -> ishtar.ps
> dvips: Font naakcc not found; characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font naakca not found; characters will be left blank.
> dvips: Font naakcb not found; characters will be left blank.
>
> pdfLatex gives the same result: runs, but the cuneiform characters are left blank.
>
> I have the feeling that I still need not create the fonts with some Metafont or Metapost program, but HOW?
> Should that not run automatically when I install a new font?
> I am running MikTeX 2.9 on Windows xp (sorry, a bit outdated but worked fine till now)
>
> Thanks in advance for any hint
> Angelika Erhardt

The link below contains a detailed account of adding a local texmf tree in MikTeX. It also contains a link explaining how to install a package manually. There is one thing you should do before before installing the package. As distributed, the map file is in an obsolete location not searched by TeXLive. (I don't know about MikTeX's search algorithm.) You should first modify the tds so that dvips/cuneiform/neoass.map is moved to fonts/map/dvips/cuneiform/neoass.map.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/69483/create-a-local-texmf-tree-in-miktex

Michael