[pstricks] [pracjourn-announce] PracTeX Journal: Issue 2010-2

Lance Carnes lcarnes at pctex.com
Thu Feb 17 14:55:18 CET 2011

Dear PracTeX Journal Readers,

The 2010-2 issue of the PracTeX Journal is
<http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/>now available
<http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/>online.

The authors and journal editors worked hard to
present these articles, and we hope you enjoy
reading them. If you find an article you like or
which you want to comment on, please click the
"Comment on this article" link to send a note to the author or to the editors.

Next issue: 2011-1  Spring 2011

If you would like to write an article for the
Journal send your idea or outline to
<mailto:pracjourn at tug.org%3Fsubject=Article%20idea>the editors.

Best regards,
Lance Carnes
and Production Editors

<http://tug.org/pracjourn>The PracTeX Journal
Issue 2010, Number 2
The online journal of the TeX Users Group
ISSN 1556-6994

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/editor.html>In this issue - LaTeX for teachers
Editor's introduction to the issue.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/news.html>News from Around
News items from the LaTeX and TeX community.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/wholeissue.html>Whole
Issue PDF for PracTeX Journal 2010-2
A PDF file of the journal issue.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/rosa.html>Sweave
- Interface entre R e LaTeX (Portuguese)
Cassiano Sousa Rosa, Og DeSouza. Resumo: É comum
depararmos com o problema da gravação em arquivos
separados dos comandos e dos gráficos, se o
sistema estatístico R é utilizado. Outro problema
seria localizar o código que originou aquele
determinado gráfico. Para as pessoas que utilizam
o R e também têm familiaridade com o LaTeX, agora
existe uma boa solução para este problema, o Sweave.

Abstract: When using R for statistical analyses,
it is common to keep the data analyses, the
results of experiments, and graphs in separate
files. Fortunately, for R users who also use
LaTeX, there is a tool for organizing these
files: Sweave! This paper presents a very short
account on how Sweave integrates R and LaTeX to
keep both input and output of statistical analyses in a single style file.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/schremmer.html>Configurable
Materials For Teaching Mathematics
Alain Schremmer. This article describes a system
that uses LaTeX to generate math texts,
homeworks, quizzes, and exams for developmental mathematics courses.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/hofert.html>Scientific
Presentations with LaTeX
Marius Hofert, Markus Kohm. In this article, we
show how scientific presentations can be created
based on the KOMA-Script document class scrartcl.
The main advantage of the suggested approach is
that the presentation slides allow for easy
copy-and-paste of content from other LaTeX
documents such as research papers or handouts.
Using this approach, presentation slides are
quickly generated, without the author having to
learn how to use other LaTeX presentation
packages. Additionally, in contrast to the rather
overused templates of the more common
presentation packages, the slides can be
individually created and thus tailored to the topic of the presentation.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/rogerio.html>Design
and Preparation of Effective Scientific Posters using LaTeX
Paulo Rogério de Souza e Silva Filho, Rian
Gabriel Santos Pinheiro. Posters are important
presentation tools in scientific conferences.
LaTeX offers several packages, e.g. a0poster and
sciposter, for designing several kinds of high
quality posters. However, many of the posters we
are used to seeing are visually split into
columns and conceptually organized in sections,
with amounts of text which are likely to disrupt
the viewing experience and understanding of the
content. In this article we present an efficient
method for preparing visual scientific posters
using the PGF package and its syntax layer TikZ.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/blaga1.html>Variation
and sign tables with tableau
Cristina Blaga, Paul Blaga. We describe here a
package, tableau.sty, created by N. Kisselhoff,
very useful especially for calculus courses. It
aids in the construction of variation and sign
tables for the study of functions. The package
provides a new environment based on PSTricks.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/blaga2.html>Preparing
exam and homework material with probsoln
Cristina Blaga, Paul Blaga. We describe here some
of the possibilities provided by the package
probsoln, by Nicola Talbot. The aim of the
package is to help the user prepare different
kinds of problem lists and tests.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/jacques.html>Square,
multiline cells using tabular(x)
Bastiaan Jacques. I describe a method for
creating square cells, containing multiple lines
typeset in paragraph mode using the array
package. Both plain LaTeX tabular and tabularx packages are used.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/nelly.html>Ask Nelly
Questions and answers on the use of LaTeX.

<http://tug.org/pracjourn/2010-2/distract.html>Distraction:
KenKen® Puzzle Challenges
Several challenging problems with KenKen, LaTeX and TeX.