[pstricks] [Pgf-users] what can PSTricks do that PGF/TikZ can't? (and vice versa)

Till Tantau tantau at tcs.uni-luebeck.de
Thu Jul 17 11:59:42 CEST 2008

Hi!

actually, that passage in the manual is rather old, TikZ can now do
most of the things that pstricks can. (Sometimes I would not even have
thought that we/I would be able to implement these things...).

There is one thing where I think that pstricks will stay to be more
powerful than tikz: Graphics in which text is used as a path or the
base of a path. For instance, there are packages for creating "3D"
letters, which are generated by using a normal text, turning it into a
path, then doing some postscript magic to add "depth and lights". In
pdf one simply cannot access text paths (partly for technical reasons,
partly for copyright reasons), so I think it is more or less
impossible to create these 3D letters as it is done in pstricks.

Currently, I also think that the commands for connecting nodes are
still more powerful in pstricks (although the syntax is not very
good). But we are working on this...

In general, pstricks has the great advantage that a lot of
computational stuff can be left to the postscript interpreter, where
pgf has to do the necessary computations inside TeX. For instance, if
you use pstricks to plot a function, depending on the function,
pstricks can store just the code of the function in the postscript
file, which is very fast and simple. pgf, on the other hand, will have
to evaluate all points of the function while TeX goes over the tex-
file. This takes a lot of time and results in longer files.

The main strengths of pgf are portability, better syntax (with TikZ),
transparency, more powerful shapes/nodes. I also think that
decorations are a pretty neat thing, which pstricks lacks.

According to user feedback, it seems to be an advantage that pstricks
has a short manual. A good book on TikZ would certainly help, here.

Regards,
Till

Prof. Dr. Till Tantau <tantau at tcs.uni-luebeck.de>
http://www.tcs.uni-luebeck.de