[pstricks] xcolor in pstricks

Alan Ristow ristow at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 23 00:13:35 CET 2006

David Owen wrote:
> Hi, Everyone,
>
> I shall appreciate some help with the following little (trivial?)
> problem. I, after installing pstricks and running winedt,  get a message
> saying “the installation of the package is required : xcolor”. Can
> someone tell me how this is done? I thought this installation was automatic.

Are you using MiKTeX? That's the only implementation of LaTeX I'm aware
of that can automatically install packages, and even then it doesn't
work for every package (it does for xcolor, though). Since you're using
WinEdt, I'm going to guess that you're using MiKTeX. In that case, open
the MiKTeX Options program and on the General tab select "Yes" or "Ask
me first" under Package Installation. Then, when you run LaTeX,
installation of xcolor should take care of itself. Alternatively, you
can open the MiKTeX Package Manager and install xcolor from there.

If you're not using MiKTeX, the best I can suggest is to download xcolor
from CTAN and follow the installation instructions. You may find the
following links helpful:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=instpackages
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=wherefiles
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tds