[pstricks] node name problem

Herbert Voss voss at pstricks.de
Sat Sep 18 20:55:56 CEST 2004

Jean-Come Charpentier wrote:

> In fact, I think that my problem was this: My labels had the syntax
> p(<num>,<num>), in the exemple before, the line
>          \rput(0,0.5){\Rnode{\n,\N}{\@nameuse{l\N}}}%
> was
>          \rput(0,0.5){\Rnode{p(\n,\N)}{\@nameuse{l\N}}}%
> and the line
>    \ncarc[arcangle=-60]{->}{1,1}{\the\lastletter,\the\lastletter}
> was
>    \ncarc[arcangle=-60]{->}{p(1,1)}{p(\the\lastletter,\the\lastletter)}
>
> With the syntax "p(<num>,<num>)" TeX was not happy ... very angry in
> fact :-).  Why?  I believed that labels name was *very* free. An other
> behavior is funny: if the label is "p<num>/<num>", TeX is happy, dvips
> is happy but gv is not happy.  Why? Character  "/" is understound as an
> operator by gv? Why parenthesis and comma are prohibit? Is there other
> characters prohibit?

all nodes are saved in the PostScript dictionary with the
prefix N at . In your first case you have N at 1,1 which is a valid
name. Only the special characters () [] {} / %  are _not_
allowed, they have a special meaning for PostScript:
String - Array - group - start name/prozedure - command

http://TeXnik.de/
http://PSTricks.de/
ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/info/math/voss/Voss-Mathmode.pdf
http://www.dante.de/faq/de-tex-faq/
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes