[pstricks] framing overlapping objects

Herbert Voss Herbert.Voss at alumni.TU-Berlin.DE
Wed Aug 18 16:23:43 CEST 2004

Matthias Thomae wrote:

> Now, to compact my pictures, I added a 'feature' to my script which
> calculates the free space (in y direction), and puts this distance as a
> negative row separation to the psmatrix, so that the plot and the legend
> 'overlap' and hence consume less space, as in the following schematic:

in this soluztion you only need the maximum of your data and multiply
it by e.g. with 1.125, inthis case it is 4.5. The legend is put in
a box, so we can measure the height.

hope, it helps

Herbert

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pst-all}% only pst-all, it loads pstricks.sty anyway

\def\mydata{0 0 3 4 5 2.5}

\newsavebox\LBox
\newlength\PHeight

\sbox\LBox{%
   \begin{tabular}[b]{ll}
       \multicolumn{2}{c}{\bf legend} \\
       par 1 & val 1 \\
       par 2 & val 2
   \end{tabular}%
}
\PHeight=\ht\LBox
\advance\PHeight by \dp\LBox
\advance\PHeight by 4.5cm% set by your Python script
\begin{document}

text above
\the\PHeight

\psset{unit=1cm}
\fbox{%
\begin{pspicture}(-1,-1)(5,\PHeight)
    \rput[lt](1.25,\PHeight){\fbox{\usebox\LBox}}
    \psaxes(0,0)(5,5)
    \listplot[plotstyle=line,showpoints=true]{\mydata}
\end{pspicture}%
}

text below

http://TeXnik.de/
http://PSTricks.de/
ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/info/math/voss/Voss-Mathmode.pdf
http://www.dante.de/faq/de-tex-faq/
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes