[pstricks] newbie installtion idiot

Herbert Voss Herbert.Voss at alumni.TU-Berlin.DE
Sat Mar 20 16:14:12 CET 2004

Doug Mounce wrote:

 > Hi, I a newbie with PSTricks, and barely have a handle on the how my
 > installation of OzTeX works on a Mac OSX.  Is there any general advice on
 > how I might understand where to put the distribution files into the
proper
 > TEXINPUTS folders?

when you installed teTeX successfully, then all should be
in the right directory. Is you add a package, then save it
into the TeX tree (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/ on Unix)
and do not forget to run mktexlsr to update the database.

 > test-pst.tex wouldn't run, for example, so I methodically copied files to
 > a TeX/Inputs folder until I stopped getting compile errors.  Some of the
 > error-files I couldn't find, so I deleted those from the \usepackage
 > preamble.  By the time it finally compiled, I couldn't even draw a
 > \ellipse.

what does the logfile say, when you run this example?

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{pstricks}
\begin{document}
\begin{pspicture}(5,5)