PStricks in PDF mode and PostScript feedback

MicroPress Inc. support at micropress-inc.com
Tue Dec 1 03:44:29 CET 1998

inform you about the work
we have been doing and possibly solicit some ideas about the direction this
work should take.

SUMMARY:
As part of the continuous development of VTeX system, we have implemented a
concurrent
PostScript-compatible interpreter (GeX) which can exchange information with
the TeX typesetter at
real time (postscript feedback).

GeX currently works in the PDF output mode and supports inclusion of
encapsulated PostScript (.eps)
as well as inline PostScript (PSTricks/PSFrag).

One practical (but less interesting) application of this is 1-step quick
compile of TeX to PDF together with
EPS graphics and/or inline PostScript code.

The more interesting is the real-time feedback from the PostScript
interpreter to TeX typesetter which can
be used during the formatting cycle [for example, you can use PostScript to
measure something and then report
the results back to TeX in order to position something else correctly; see
the poseted documentation for the
letterspacing example.]. This potentially opens a door for designing new
macro packages which can use the feedback.

We are very interested in the reaction of the participants of this mailing
list to our development effort and any ideas
on where and how the PostScript feedback may prove most useful.

For additional details on the current implementation you may visit our Web site:

        central directory:  http://www.micropress-inc.com

        GeX:                          http://www.micropress-inc.com/gex/gex.htm

Any human feedback is very welcome.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:
GeX implementation has been made possible, in particular, due to generous
donation of many example files by Denis Girou
and others.

Michael Vulis
MicroPress, Inc.

with a blank subject and in body the line unsubscribe <email-address>