draft of draft of UML package for pstricks

Maurice DIAMANTINI diam at ensta.fr
Wed Mar 25 09:34:31 CET 1998

Bonjour Christophe,

Je me permets de poster ma réponse (in english) sur la liste de pstricks
au cas ou d'autres personnes serait intéressées par mes brouillons :-).

À (At) 16:28 +0100 24/03/98, Christophe Bruley écrivait (wrote) :
>    Je suis a la recherche d'un style Latex pour creer des diagrammes UML
>(ou similaire). En parcourant la mailing liste PSTricks j'ai vu que vous
>etiez en train d'ecrire un tel style. Ce projet a-t-il abouti ? Si oui,
>verriez-vous un inconvenient a le distribuer ?

In fact, this is not realy a "project", just the wish to try to do some
schematics (the UML diagramms) with pstricks.

I'm beginner in pstricks,  beginner in writing Latex macro, and I have
to do a little doc on UML (also for beginner).

The file "pst-uml.sty" is not ready to publish and not well documented
(I should use either the standard "docstip" latex package, or waiting
for the incomming "fancyverb.sty" package :-).

But you can use it as macro idees.
DISTRIBUTION :

The file is called "pst-uml.sty" and its "doc"  is called "doc_pst-uml.tex"
You should also read the (french for the moment) comment in the
"pst-uml.sty"

- the pst-uml.sty is draft of a draft, (which may be never finish ?)
- the pst-uml.sty is for LATEX ONLY (not for TEX user),
- The commands names are not stables : use it only as examples,
- The file ".tar.gz" provide sources and .ps file
  (i.e verb.sty is provide but not pstricks),
- compilation has been tested on UNIX  or on MacOS,
- documentation and comments are in french for the moment, sorry;
   (but Latex code is in Latex language :-),
- accents encoding  are in ISO, so verify that the following line
  is uncommented :
        \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
  (the accent in the .ps file may be bad encoded so recompile it)
- All remarks are welcome
  (on the pstricks mailing list if usefull for other contributers)

      <http://www.ensta.fr/~diam/latex/contrib/>

TODO :

- to many things for listing there here!
- doc to be begin (with docstrip.sty or with fancyverb.sty)
   (verb.sty not satisfying with accents)

PROVIDED COMMANDS

1 - drawing box
--------------

- \umlClass[keyOptions]{title}{body}
- \umlActor[keyOptions]{title}

2 - Drawing connectors
---------------------

I made several new psobject for drawing connectors Horizontally or Verticaly.
Theres names contiens the direction to go :

- one segment : \ncE, \ncW, \ncN and \ncS
- two segments : \ncES (to Est, the to Sud)
- three segments : \ncEHE  (to Est, Horizonty then to Est) ...
- four segments :  \ncEXW (to Est , anything, then to West)

3 - putting new arrows
---------------------

Starting from Denis examples on how create new arrow type
for pstricks, I have not yet found a mean to
create new arrow type without putting postscript in the
"\psas@<newArrowString>" command (except for the fonte
caracters),

\@namedef{psas at arrowName}{### XXXXX ###}

I guess that XXXXX could be TeX or Latex or pstricks command
which SHOULD result in ONLY POSTSCIPT AFTER TeX expansion.

So I give up this way and I use the command \ncput for putting random
icon on a random connector (at an random position :-).

- \ncputicon[keyOptions]{umliconName}
  icon allowed (TO BE RENAMED) :
         - umlHerit,
         - umlAggreg,
         - umlCompos,
         - umlV

Default options is for putting an icon as an arrow on the start of
the connector, but one can put it on the middle of a segment if
one like (this feature is better than an true pstricks arrow).

See doc_pst-uml.ps more samples.

Maurice DIAMANTINI   |    Ecole Nationale Superieure de Techniques Avancees
mailto:diam at ensta.fr |    32 Boulevard Victor 75739 PARIS Cedex 15 - France

with a blank subject and in body the line unsubscribe <email-address>